CHANGES TO THE SENIOR RUGBY PROGRAM
Dear Club Members,
Please attached letter (click here) from the Victorian Rugby Union regarding changes to the structure of senior rugby in Victoria and the effects this will have upon Southern Districts Rugby Club (South’s) senior rugby program.
In brief, the correspondence covers the following:
• A new framework and model for rugby in Victoria for 2018 and beyond, including a restructure and renaming of the Second Division and Third Division competition to the Premiership Competition and Championship Competition.
• The performance of South’s senior rugby program in 2017.
• The relegation of South’s from the Dewar Shield Competition 2017 to the Premiership Competition for 2018.
• And, that the new competition structure will provide a clear framework for clubs to be eligible for promotion from the Premiership
Competition to the Dewar Shield Competition. Whilst this result is disappointing as the club will temporarily be without a presence in the premier rugby competition in Victoria, it also provides an opportunity to rebuild the senior rugby program, the club and its culture towards one of success. In doing so however the club committee must be sure of the commitment of the senior playing group.
In practical terms this means the following:
• Every senior player intending to register and play with South’s in the Premiership Competition in 2018 must state their intention to do so directly with the Club President, Nadine Dowie. Communication may be via email, phone, SMS or in person by 19 November 2017.
• There must be sufficient numbers committed to the 2018 season for the club committee to have confidence in fielding two senior teams.
• Every senior player must be prepared and committed to assist the club in an off-field capacity.
PLEASE NOTE: If the club committee considers there is not sufficient commitment by the senior playing group the decision to shut down the senior rugby program for up to two years may be taken. During this period a growing junior program will be fully supported with the intention of re-establishing a senior program in the future.
I understand that this may come as quite a shock and raises a number of questions regarding the future and structure of the club, so in order to try and address these issues the club will be holding an information and briefing session on Friday 17 November 2017 at 7pm in the club rooms, on how we plan to transition into the 2018 season and rebuild a strong club culture.
This session is primarily for the senior playing group however all club members are invited to attend, particularly those families and junior members who will begin playing senior rugby in the near future.
As Club President I urge all members of the senior playing group, past and present, to seriously consider the role they wish to play in the future of the club and how they wish to respond to this challenge.
I also invite these members to contact me to express their commitment to the club for the 2018 season.
Southern Districts Rugby Club
m. 0466 900 351
Click here to view PDF version
The Dewar Shield includes nine Premier Division Clubs which are: Box Hill, Endeavour Hills, Footscray, Harlequin, Melbourne, Melbourne University, Moorabbin, Power House, Southern Districts.
Please click here to view the 2017 Dewar Shield Draw.
View club results and photos at our Facebook pages
Facebook Club News Page - https://www.facebook.com/southerndistrictpirates/
Click here to download the 2017 Dewar Shield Draw.
(Image courtesy of Melbourne Rebels website)